Buckingham County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Buckingham County
1347VM13

Buckingham County is named for the Duke of Buckingham, who was from Buckinghamshire in England or for “Buckingham” which was the estate of Archibald Cary located on Willow Creek.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Albemarle County and Fluvanna County

E – Cumberland County

S – Prince Edward County and Appomatox County

W – Nelson County

 

Created:  May 1, 1761                            Map of Virginia highlighting Buckingham County

County Seat: 

Buckingham  1761 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Buckingham  

 

Location:  13061 W James Anderson Highway / Courthouse Road

Built:  1873

Style:  Greek Revival

Architect:  Thomas Jefferson

Contractor:  Buckingham Courthouse Committee

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buckingham with a one story Clerk’s Office on the east side and the new courthouse on the north side. The south front of the rectangular building has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment. The recessed entrance has white colored wood trim. The building has green colored shutters and a hipped roof.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Buckingham Court House

 

Courthouse – Buckingham  

 

1361vm13

 

Location:  13061 W James Anderson Highway / Courthouse Road

Built:  2003 – 2005

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BCWH Architects of Richmond

Contractor:  Coleman-Adams Construction Inc. of Forest

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buckingham.The west front has an entrance towards the south with extended canopy and glass walls. Above the entrance is a large glass wall with peaked roof above. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the Courthouse Addition.

 

History:  The county was created in 1761 and court matters were heard in Scottsville in  Albemarle County and Williamsburg in James City County. The first courthouse was erected about 1777. The second courthouse was built in 1822 to 1824. The plans were designed by Thomas Jefferson the building was under the supervision of Colonel Charles Yancey. The building burned on February 25, 1869. The third courthouse was built in 1873 on the same site using the Jefferson design. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2003 to 2005.

 

County Administration – Buckingham  

 

1344vm13

 

Location:  13360 West James Anderson Highway / Administration Lane

Built:  2010 – 2012

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BCWH Architects of Richmond

Contractor:  C L Lewis & Company of Lynchburg

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a one story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buckingham to the east of the courthouse. The west front has a recessed center entrance with canopy. The north side of the front has a glassed section and the south side has a series of columns. A wide band runs along the flat roof line with a raised section on the center of the roof.

 

 

 

 

 

1346vl13

Old County Courthouse – Buckingham

 

 

1348vm13

 

 

1349vm13

 

 

1350vm13

 

 

1351vm13

 

 

1352vm13

County Clerk’s Office – Buckingham

 

 

1362vm13

County Courthouse – Buckingham

 

 

1363vm13

 

 

1364vm13

 

 

1365vm13

 

 

1366vm13

 

 

1343vm13

County Administration – Buckingham

 

 

1345vm13

Photos taken 2013