Greene County is named for Nathanael Greene, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: January 24, 1838
Stanardsville 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Stanardsville
Location: 22 Court Street / Ford Avenue
Built: 1838 – 1839
Style: Roman Temple
Architect: William Donoho and William B Phillips
Contractor: William Donoho and William B Phillips
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a large portico supported by four Tuscan columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The entrance is framed with white colored wood trim White colored pilasters are at the corners. There is a gable roof with a white colored cupola. In 1927 and 1928, the front portico was constructed. A fire in 1979 destroyed the interior, but the exterior remained intact. On the east side is the old jail and on the west side is the Clerk’s Office ( 1938 ).
Note: The courthouse was built by William B Phillips, who was a master builder of Thomas Jefferson and the plans followed the Jefferson design for courthouses as did the courthouse in Page County. The land was donated by Captain William Standard.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Greene County Courthouse
County Administration – Stanardsville
Location: 20 Celt Road / Main Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Description: The building faces east and is a one story light red colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting center section with central entrance. The green colored roof is hipped.
N – Madison County
E – Orange County
S – Albemarle County
Photos taken 2013