Spotsylvania County

US States / V-Z / Virginia / Spotsylvania County
2373VM13

Spotsylvania County is named for Alexander Spotswood, who was a colonial lieutenant governor of Virginia.

 

Created:  November 2, 1720

County Seat: 

Spotsylvania Courthouse  1720 – present

 

County Courthouse – Spotsylvania Courthouse  

 

Location:  9111 Courthouse Road / Brock Road

Built:  1901 – 1902

Style:  Colonial Revival

Architect:  B F Smith

Contractor:  B F Smith Fireproof Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a one story buff colored brick structure. The northwest front has a large porch with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The 1840 original Doric columns were used and were constructed by Malcolm F Crawford. The recessed entrance is arched with small fanlight. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1964 on the south side. The architect was George R Brown.

 

Note:  The team of Malcolm Crawford, carpenter, and William Phillips, brick-mason, who helped Thomas Jefferson build the University of Virginia, won the contract and completed the courthouse in 1840. 

 

County Judicial Center – Spotsylvania Courthouse  

 

2362vm13

 

Location:  9107 Judicial Center Lane / Brock Road

Built:  2005 – 2007

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Moseley Architects, Inc.

Contractor:  Hensel Phelps Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces northwest and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of the old courthouse. The northwest front has a large portico with four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The central entrance section projects from the main building.  The second story windows on the second story are framed in white color. The roof is hipped.

 

County Government Center – Spotsylvania Courthouse  

 

2388vm13

 

Location:  9104 Courthouse Road / Brock Road

Built:  Unknown

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Moseley Architects, Inc.

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds across from the courthouse. The center section has a portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The east and west sections of the building project from the main building.  The hipped roof has dormers.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Stafford CountyFredericksburg and Stafford County 

E – Caroline County

S – Hanover County and Louisa County

W – Orange County and Culpeper County

 

 

 

2372vm13_0

 

 

2371vm13_0

 

 

2374vm13_0

 

 

2375vm13_0

 

 

2376vm13

 

 

2377vm13

 

 

2378vm13

 

 

2359vm13

 

 

2360vm13

 

 

2363vm13

 

 

2365vm13

 

 

2366vm13

 

 

2367vm13

 

 

2384vm13

 

 

2385vm13

 

 

2386vm13_0

 

 

2387vm13

Photos taken 2013