Mecklenburg County is named for the German Princess Charlotte of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who became queen consort of King George III of Great Britain and who lived from 1744 to 1818.
Created: May 26, 1764
Boydton 1764 – present
County Courthouse – Boydton
Location: SW – Washington Street / Madison Street
Built: 1834 – 1842
Style: Roman Revival
Architect: William A Howard and James Whitice.
Contractor: William A Howard and James Whitice.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story white colored brick and wood structure. The east front has a large portico across the front with six columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. The roof is hipped. An addition was constructed in 1950 on the west side.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $8000.
N – Lunenburg County
E – Brunswick County
Photos taken 2013