Murray County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Murray County
1631G13

Murray County is named for Thomas W Murray, who was the Speaker of the Georgia House of Representatives in 1825.

 

Created:  December 3, 1832

County Seat: 

Spring Place  1832 – 1913

Chatsworth    1913 – present

 

County Courthouse – Chatsworth

 

Location:  121 North 3rd Avenue / West Market Street

Built:  1916 – 1917

Style:  Neo-Classical Revival

Architect:  Alexander Blair

Contractor:  H J Carr & Company

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The east front has a large portico with four columns rising to a wide header at the roof line. Along the header is a balustrade. The front entrance is framed and there are small pediments above the second story corner windows. The center section on the north and south sides are recessed and have framed entrances. A wide cornice run along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a large low octagonal dome.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Bradley CountyTennessee and Polk County, Tennessee

E – Fannin County and Gilmer County

S – Gordon County

W – Whitfield County

 

 

1632g13

 

 

1636g13

 

 

1633g13

 

 

1634g13

 

 

1637g13

 

 

1638g13

 

 

1630g13

Photos taken 2013