Dade County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Dade County
Dade

Dade County is named for Francis Dade, who was a Virginian stationed in central Florida to help enforce the treaty that ended the First Seminole War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Marion County, Tennessee and Hamilton County, Tennessee

E – Walker County

S – Walker County

W – DeKalb County, Alabama and Jackson County, Alabama

 

Created:  December 25, 1837                Map of Georgia highlighting Dade County

County Seat: 

Trenton  1837 – present

 

County Courthouse – Trenton 

 

Location:  255 Crabtree Street / Cass Avenue

Built:  2009 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Frank McDonald Architects

Contractor:  Construction Consultants of Chattanooga, Tennessee

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Trenton.  The main entrance is a two story section on the east side of the north front. The building has a canopy supported by two pillars and a pitched green colored roof. The center section has a large glass window. There are three sections along the north front which project from the main building. The building is the Dade County Courts Facility.

 

Old County Courthouse – Trenton 

 

1429a10

 

Location:  12371 South Main Street / Court Street

Built:  1926 – 1927

Style:  Dutch Colonial Revival / Carpenter Style

Architect:  Barrett Construction Company of Dalton

Contractor:  Barrett Construction Company of Dalton

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Trenton. The entrance is in the center of the first story. The windows have stone trim. At each corner is a square brick projection above the roof line.

 

Note:  The courthouse is similar to the early Carpenter Style in North Georgia as seen in the courthouses in Dawson County and White County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Dade County Courthouse

 

History:  The first courthouse was built in Trenton in 1849 and burned in 1853. The second courthouse was built in 154 and was burned in 1863 during the Civil War. The third courthouse was built in 1869. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1926 and is still standing. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2009 to 2010.

 

County Justice Building – Trenton 

 

1434a10

 

Location:  75 Cass Avenue / Church Street

Built:  1988 – 1989

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Associated Architectural Services

Contractor:  T & C Construction Company Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a one story concrete, brick and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Trenton. The building has a flat roof line. The building houses the law enforcement branch.

 

County Administration – Trenton 

 

1440a10

 

Location:  71 Cass Avenue / Church Street

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Killian Clark Partnership of Ringgold

Contractor:   Construction Consultants of Chattanooga, Tennessee

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of Trenton. There is a large arch at the north entrance on the second story. The first story follows the hill southwards.

 

 

1442a10

County Courthouse – Trenton

 

 

1443a10

 

 

1444a10

 

 

1448a10

 

 

1428a10

Old County Courthouse – Trenton

 

 

1427a10

 

 

1430a10

 

 

1432a10

County Justice Building – Trenton

 

 

1433a10

 

 

1436a10

 

 

1439a10

County Administration – Trenton

 

 

1441a10

 

 

1425a10

Photos taken 2010