Polk County is named for James Knox Polk, who was the eleventh President of the United States of America.
Created: December 20, 1851
Cedartown 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Cedartown
Location: 100 Prior Street / North College Street
Built: 1951 – 1952
Style: Modern Stripped Classical
Architect: William J J Chase & Associates
Contractor: Bailey-Brazell Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The center section is the highest part of the building with lower east and west wings. The center section projects from the main building and has a recessed center section with vertical pilasters with vertical windows with panels between. Horizontal belts run across the top of the building. The roof line is flat.
County Courthouse Annex – Cedartown
Location: 50 Prior Street / North Main Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Architect: Otis Clay Poundston
Contractor: Works Progress Administration
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building served as the City Hall. The building was renovated in 1984 and 1985. The architect was Williams, Sweitzer & Barnum, Inc. and the contractor was Beneficial Brothers Inc.
E – Paulding County
S – Haralson County
Photos taken 2010