Paulding County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Paulding County
Pauling -O

Pauling County is named for John Pauling, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bartow County

E – Cobb County

S – Douglas County and Carroll County

W – Haralson County and Polk County

 

Created:  December 3, 1832                  Map of Georgia highlighting Paulding County

County Seat: 

Van Wert  1832 – 1851

Dallas       1851 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Dallas

 

Location:  SW – Memorial Drive / Main Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Queen Anne

Architect:  Alexander C Bruce & Thomas H Morgan of Atlanta

Contractor:  G M Roberts & Company

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located in the center of Dallas. The southeast corner has a high clock tower with open belfry, clock and steep roof. The entrance has a large brick stone arch with recessed entrance on the first story. There is a smaller tower on the west side of the arched central entrance. The rectangular building has a foundation of rough stone masonry. The roof is hipped. The building was renovated in 1956. The architect was Harry E Roos and the contractor was E P Austin Construction Company. The engineer was Southern Engineering Company. From 1984 to 1985, the building was restored. The architect was George Post Foote and the contractor was Shirah Contracting Company, Inc. The building now houses the Paulding Genealogical Society.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Paulding County Courthouse

 

 County Courthouse – Dallas

 

1626a10

 

Location:  240 Constitution Boulevard / West Avenue

Built:  2006 – 2008

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Facility Group of Smyrna

Contractor:  Facility Group of Smyrna

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Dallas and is named the Watson Government Complex. The west section has a large arch with recessed glass entrance and windows.  The courtrooms are located on the second story. The center section rises to a peaked roof. The east section extends south from the main building. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The first court met at the residence of John Witcher. After 1832, the first courthouse was built in Van Wert. The county seat moved to Dallas in 1851 and the third courthouse was built in 1856. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1892 to 1893. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2006 and 2008.

 

 

1605a10

Old County Courthouse – Dallas

 

 

1606a10

 

 

1610a10

 

 

133g20

 

 

135g20

 

 

136g20

 

 

137g20

 

 

138g20

 

 

139g20

 

 

140g20

 

 

1611a10

 

 

1613a10

 

 

144g20

 

 

1615a10

 

 

120gg20

County Courthouse – Dallas

 

 

1622a10

 

 

1621a10

 

 

1625a10

 

 

1628a10  

 

 

122g20

 

 

123g20

 

 

124g20

 

 

125g20

 

 

126g20

 

 

1631a10

 

 

1632a10

 

 

1604a10

Photos taken 2010 and 2020