Franklin County

US States / O-U / Tennessee / Franklin County
Franklin

Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Coffee County

E – Grundy County and Marion County

S – Jackson County, Alabama and Madison County, Alabama

W – Lincoln County and Moore County

 

Created:  December 3, 1807                  Map of Tennessee highlighting Franklin County

County Seat:  

Winchester  1807 – present

 

County Courthouse – Winchester  

 

Location:  1 South Jefferson Street / Dinah Shore Boulevard

Built:  1936 – 1937

Style:  Art Deco and Modern

Architect:  Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville

Contractor:  Niles Yearwood of Nashville

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Winchester and was a Work Projects Administration project. The center section on the southwest, projects from the main building. Vertical dividers run between the windows. On the center of the roof is a square white colored clock tower. The interior has murals along the hall. The large courtroom on the second story is now the Commissioner’s Room.

 

See:  The architect, Joseph Holman and Thomas Marr of Nashville, designed courthouses in Bedford CountyHardin County, Lauderdale County, Madison County, McNairy County, Obion County, Pickett County, Sumner County and Weakley County. They also designed the Tennessee Supreme Court in Nashville.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Franklin County Courthouse

 

County Judicial Center – Winchester  

 

1421t18

 

Location:  440 George Farley Parkway / Joyce Lane

Built:  2008 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Barge Waggoner Sumner and Cannon, Inc. of Nashville

Contractor:  HDH Management Corporation of Dickson.

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a one story brown colored brick, stone, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the western edge of the city. The south side has a one story porch supported by four stone pillars with recessed glass entrance. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located along the entrance lobby. 

 

History:  The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1814. The second courthouse was built by Elish Merideth in 1839. The courthouse was expanded in 1890. The architect was R A Hunt. The building was demolished. and the third and present courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $152,000. The County Judicial Center was constructed in 2008 to 2009.

 

 

0521t12

County Courthouse – Winchester

 

 

0524t12

 

 

0525t12

 

 

0523t12

 

 

x2_0

 

 

1398t18

 

 

1401t18

 

 

1402t18

 

 

1403t18

 

 

1404t18

 

 

1406t18

 

 

1407t18

 

 

1408t18

 

 

1409t18

 

 

1410t18

 

 

1411t18

 

 

1412t18

Picture 1890 County Courthouse

 

 

0526t12

 

 

1418t18

County Judicial Center – Winchester

 

 

1419t18

 

 

1424t18

 

 

1425t18

 

 

1426t18

 

 

1427t18

 

 

1428t18

 

 

1429t18

 

 

1430t18

 

 

1431t18

Photos taken 2012 and 2018