Catoosa County is named for Catoosa Springs, which were located near Ringgold and were named after a Cherokee word meaning “small mountain”.
Created: December 5, 1853
Ringgold 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Ringgold
Location: 7694 Nashville Street / Maple Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Colonial Revival
Architect: Crutchfield & Law
Contractor: Barrett Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The north front has a projecting center section with framed recessed entrance on the first story and flanked by double pilasters. At the roof line is a pediment. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola. The building was constructed under the Public Works Administration. The building is connected on the south side to the Justice Building.
County Justice Building – Ringgold
Location: 875 Lafayette Street / Maple Street
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The south front has a central recessed entrance on the first story with a one story wing extending south on the west side. The second story has a long horizontal window. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse on the north side.
North – Hamilton County, Tennessee
East – Whitfield County
South – Walker County
West – Walker County
Photos taken 2013