Gordon County is named for William Washington Gordon, who was the first Georgian to graduate from West Point and the first president of the Central Georgia Railroad.
Created: February 13, 1850
Calhoun 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Calhoun
Location: 100 South wall Street / South Court Street
Built: 1961 – 1962
Architect: Cunningham & Forehand
Contractor: Gann Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a one story portico with four columns rising to a pediment below the roof line. The windows are vertical with panels between the first and second stories. The mansard roof has dormer windows.
Note: The red colored brick courthouse constructed in 1889 was torn down in 1961.
Photos taken 2013