Haralson County

US States / A-G / Georgia / Haralson County
Haralson

Haralson County is named for Hugh A Haralson, who was a congressman and a general.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Polk County

E – Paulding County and Carroll County

S – Carroll County

W – Cleburne County, Alabama 

 

Created:  January 26, 1856                    Map of Georgia highlighting Haralson County

County Seat: 

Buchanan   1856 – present

 

County Courthouse – Buchanan  

 

Location:  4485 Highway 120 / Courthouse Drive

Built:  1971 – 1972

Style:  Modern

Architect:  I E Saporta

Contractor:  Bard Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story light yellow colored brick and glass structure. The building sits on the side of a hill on landscaped grounds to the easrst of the center of Buchana. The main entrance on the second story. The north side has large horizontal windows. The center section projects from the main building. The roof line is flat. The two courtroom are located on either side of the central lobby on the first story.

 

Old County Courthouse – Buchanan  

 

1547a10

 

Location:  145 Van West Street / Weatherly Street

Built:  1891 – 1892

Style:  Queen Anne

Architect:  Alexander C Bruce & Thomas H Morgan of Atlanta

Contractor:  G W Goulding of Cleburne County, Alabama

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Buchanan. On the southeast corner is a high square brick clock tower with steep roof. On the northeast corner is a round tower with windows and rounded dome. The building serves as a museum and offices of the Haralson County Historical Society and the Library.

 

Note:  The grand jury recommended that the costs of a new courthouse were not to exceed $20,000. The contract to build the courthouse was awarded at $16,989.50. The contractor ran out of money and Judge S M Davenport wrote a warrant for $1000 so that the building could be completed. The architects Bruce & Morgan of Atlanta also designed singly or as partners a number of courthouses including courthouses in Hancock County, Fulton County and Newton County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Haralson County Courthouse

 

History: The first courthouse was built after 1856. The second courthouse was constructed in 1891 to 1892 and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1971 to 1972.

 

 

90g20

County Courthouse – Buchanan

 

 

1538a10

 

 

 

1539a10

 

 

1541a10

 

 

93g20

 

 

94g20

 

 

95g20

 

 

97g20

 

 

98g20

 

 

99g20

 

 

102g20

 

 

1549a10

Old County Courthouse – Buchanan

 

 

1548a10

 

 

1550a10

 

 

1551a10

 

 

109g20

 

 

110g20

 

 

111g20

 

 

112g20

 

 

115g20

 

 

113g20

 

 

117g20

 

 

118g20

 

 

1537a10

Photos taken 2010 and 2020