Polk County is named for James Knox Polk, who was the eleventh President of the United States of America.
Created: November 28, 1839
Benton 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Benton
Location: 101 Main Street / Ward Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: R H Hunt & Company of Chattanooga
Contractor: Forgum Jones Company
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The northwest front has a recessed central entrance. The windows are vertical with panels between. The center section projects from the main building. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was a Work Projects Administration project.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Polk County Courthouse
Note: The first courthouse was built on the courthouse square in 1840. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1851 and burned in 1894. The third courthouse was constructed by W R Harper in 1897 and burned on December 3, 1935. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $100,000.
County Justice Center – Benton
Location: 161 Industrial Access Circle / Parksville Road
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Webb Brothers
Contractor: Webb Brothers
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the west of the center of the city. The south front has a high section with porch on the first story supported by brick pillars and with recessed glass entrance. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located along the first story hall.
E – Cherokee County, North Carolina
W – Bradley County
Picture 1897 Courthouse
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2012 and 2018