Fannin County is named for James Fannin, who was a Georgian who fought in the War for Texas Independence and was killed at Goliad.
Created: January 21, 1854
Morgantown 1854 – 1895
Blue Ridge 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Blue Ridge
Location: 400 West Main Street / Church Street
Built: 2001 – 2004
Architect: Jennings-King Architects of Dalton
Contractor: Manhattan – The Flagler Company of Atlanta
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff and dark red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The southeast front has a large portico with four columns rising to a flat roof. The entrance is glass with a glass panel wall. Above is a peaked section with circular opening above the flat roof line. The first story is dark red colored brick on the north and south sections.
Old County Courthouse – Blue Ridge
Location: NW - West Main Street / Summit Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Edwards, Sayward & Robert B Logan Associates
Contractor: Beers-Collins Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a wide pediment at the roof line. Behind the portico the wall are colored white. The building extends northwest. The building is now The Georgia Mountain Center for the Arts.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by J W Golucke and built by W W Mcfee in 1895. The building burned in 1936.
E – Union County
W – Murray County
Photos taken 2013