Whitfield County is named for George Whitefield, who established the Bethesda Orphanage near Savannah in 1840.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – Murray County
S – Walker County
W – Walker County
Created: December 30, 1851
Dalton 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Dalton
Location: 205 North Selividge Street / West King Street
Built: 2003 – 2006
Architect: JKH Architects LLC
Contractor: Turner Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story light red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dalton. The center of the building projects from the main building and has the main entrance on the first story and glass panels rising from the second to third stories with a triangular panel below the peak at the roof line. The peaked roof runs west along the center section which rises above the main building. To the north are four peaked roofs with triangular panels and glass panels below. The peaks of each section run west to similar peaks on the west side of the building. On the south side is a section with one peak and a large section with flat roof line which incorporated the old 1961 building.
Note: The old courthouse constructed in 1891 stood on the same floor plan as the new center section of the present courthouse. The old courthouse had a high clock tower. In 1961, a new courthouse was constructed on the south side. The architect was Abreu and Robeson and the contractor was T L Kiker Construction Company. The current courthouse was constructed around the existing 1961 building and the old 1891 courthouse was torn down.
County Administration #1 – Dalton
Location: 301 West Crawford Street / South Selividge Street
Description: The building faces north and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Dalton.
County Administration #2 – Dalton
Location: 214 West King Street / Northh Selividge Street
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Dalton,
History: The first courthouse was a wooden structure built in Dalton in 1851. The courthouse was burned by Sherman’s forces in 1864. There was no courthouse for 27 years. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure designed by W Chamberlin and constructed by T L Kiker Construction Company in 1891. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1961. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2004 to 2006 and incorporated the 1961 courthouse.
County Courthouse – Dalton
This photo shows the 1891 courthouse which faced east ( photo courtesy of Gary Brown, Director of Building & Grounds, Dalton )
This photo shows the 1961 courthouse which faced east ( photo courtesy of Gary Brown, Director of Building & Grounds, Dalton )
This photo shows the west side of the 1961 courthouse ( photo courtesy of Gary Brown, Director of Building & Grounds, Dalton )
Photos taken 2013