Bradley County is named for Edward Bradley, who was a Tennessee state legislator.
Created: February 10, 1836
Cleveland 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Cleveland
Location: 155 North Ocoee Street / 1st Street NW
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Selmon T Franklin & Associates
Contractor: Whaley Construction Inc. of Kodak
Description: The building faces east and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The east front has a large over hanging roof supported by eight pillars. There is a ramp winding up to the second story. The roof line is flat. The courtrooms are located on the second story. The Commissioner’s Room is located on the first story.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by R H Hunt and Lamm and constructed in 1882. The construction of the present courthouse was supervised by a Courthouse Construction Committee comprised of John Tyler, Homer Green and John Clayton including the architect Selmon T Franklin & Associates, and the contractor is presumed to have been Whaley Construction Inc. of Kodak.
E – Polk County
W – Hamilton County
Commissioner Minutes – Architect
Photos taken 2010, 2014 and 2018