Polk County

US States / M / Minnesota / Polk County
Polk

Polk County is named after James Knox Polk, eleventh President of the United States who signed the congressional act organizing the Minnesota Territory.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Marshall County

E – Pennington County, Red Lake County and Clearwater County

S – Mahnomen County and Norman County

W – Traill County, North Dakota and Grand Forks County, North Dakota

 

Created:  July 20, 1858                          Map of Minnesota highlighting Polk County

County Seat:

Crookston  1858 – present

 

County Government Center – Crookston

 

Location:  612 North Broadway / East 6th Street

Built:  1967 – 1968

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Cecil Griffith of Ellerber Architects & Engineers of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Dean L Witcher Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three-level block style structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Crookston and is set into a slope, so that the rough random-coursed Minnesota granite of the lower floor disappears at the rear elevation. The upper floors are smooth white concrete with regular window pattern 18 bays across and 7 deep, set off by narrow fins that rise to a wide, vertically scored band. Inside, a unique feature is the open spiral staircase in the center lobby, and a mock rotunda beneath a bright skylight. The building was formerly the courthouse until 2008.

 

County Justice Center – Crookston

 

056m17

 

Location:  816 Marin Avenue / Old Highway 75

Built:  2006 – 2008

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Klein McCarthy & Company Ltd. and Richard Rude Architectural

Contractor:  Construction Analysis & Management (CAM) Inc.

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds to the southwest of the center of Crookston. The building has a north wing and a west wing. On the east front is a central projecting glass section with entrance and four pillars on the first story with extended canopy. The windows are square and the roof line is flat. The building houses the District Court. 

  

History:  The county was created in 1858 and Crookston was selected as the county seat. The first court met in a rented building in 1879. Later the building burned in 1911. The first courthouse was a two story frame structure built in 1881. The second courthouse was a Beaux Arts structure designed by Kinney & Detweiler and constructed in 1900 at a cost of $90,000. The third courthouse was constructed in 1967 to 1968 and is still now the County Government Center. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2006 to 2008 at a cost of $25,000,000.

 

 

063m17

County Government Center – Crookston

 

 

739lm07

 

 

1995mc08

 

 

1993mc08

 

 

1996mc08

 

 

066m17

 

 

1999mc08

 

 

069m17

 

 

1998mc08

 

 

071m17

 

 

1997mc08

 

 

055m17

County Justice Center – Crookston

 

 

057m17

 

 

058m17

 

 

059m17

 

 

060m17

 

 

061m17

 

 

062m17

Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017