Kittson County is named after Norman Wolfren Kittson, a fur trader and railroad entrepreneur.
Created: March 9, 1878
Hallock 1878 – present
County Courthouse – Hallock
Location: 410 South Fifth Street / South Douglas Avenue
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Wells, Denbrooke and Associates and Mooney, Nenning and Associates of Grand Forks, North Dakota
Contractor: Dean L Witcher, Inc. of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces north and is a low horizontal two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on a slight slope creating the two stories on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Panels of brick stripe the building. Small double-hung windows are set into strips between the brick. The entrance is recessed and a flat slab roof tops the building. The courtroom is located at the east side of the second story.
Note: The first court was held in 1881 in the Hotel Hallock. The first courthouse was built in 1896 at a cost of $20,000. The building was torn down in 1965. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $839,000.
N – Manitoba, Canada
E – Roseau County
S – Marshall County
W – Pembina County, North Dakota
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017