Koochiching is derived from the Cree word “Ouchichiq” that the Ojibway applied to both Rainy Lake and Rainy River. Reverend J A Gifillan translated it to mean “Neighbor Lake and River”. The name was given to the falls of the Rainy River.
Created: December 19, 1906
International Falls 1906 – present
County Courthouse – International Falls
Location: 715 4th Street / 7th Avenue
Built: 1909 - 1910
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Charles E Bell of Minneapolis
Contractor: O J Oyen of La Crosse, Wisconsin
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The first story is rusticated limestone and the second and third stories are red brick with a stone belt course on each level. The central domed cupola has four sides with a gold dome at the top. On the north of the building, three pavilions rise two stories, flanked by pilasters with Doric capitals supporting a segmental arched pediment. The murals were painted by E Sonderberg of La Crosse, Wisconsin. In 1974, a two story addition was added on the east side. The architect was John Ivey Thomas / Thomas A Vecchi, Inc. of Duluth and the contractor was Nasvik Construction Company Inc. In 1979 the west wing was added. The architect was John Ivey Thomas / Thomas A Vecchi, Inc. of Duluth and the contractor was Nasvik Construction Company Inc.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
N – Ontario, Canada
S – Itasca County
Photos taken 2007 and 2011