Cass County is named for Lewis Cass, who explored the upper Mississippi River to Cass Lake in 1820, was governor of the Michigan Territory in 1813 to 1831, was United States Secretary of War from 1831 to 1836, was a United States Senator from Michigan from 1845 to 1857 and was United States Secretary of State from 1857 to 1860.
Created: September 1, 1851
West Brainerd ( Crow Wing ) 1851 – 1897
Walker 1897 – present
County Courthouse – Walker
Location: 303 Minnesota Avenue / 4th Street South
Built: 1902 – 1903
Style: Italian Renaissance or Beaux Arts
Architect: R W Kinney of Kinney and Detwiler of Minneapolis
Contractor: Schmidt Brothers of West Superior, Wisconsin
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has lighter stone trim marking the corners and triple windows. The east center section projects from the main building. The top floor was added in 1961, requiring the removal of the originals cornice, roof, dome and lantern. The two story center atrium was closed and windows were bricked in. New windows and exterior doors were also installed. The interior was plastered. In 1961, the building was remodeled and the architect was Kerr Johnson, Inc. of Minneapolis. In 1976, a brick addition was added on the north side. The architect was Koehnlein / Lightowler / Johnson Associates Inc. of Fargo, North Dakota and the contractor was Acton Construction Company Inc. of Minneapolis.
See: The architect and contractor also designed and constructed the courthouse in Beltrami County.
Note: From 1851 to 1902, court was held in Crow Wing County. The present courthouse is the first courthouse built and the cost of construction was $29,500.
Tribal Justice Center – Cass Lake
Location: 190 Salistar Drive NW / Maple Avenue NW
Built: 2015 – 2016
Architect: BKV Group Inc. of Minneapolis
Contractor: Shingobee Builders
Description: The building faces south and is a one story cream and red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The south front has a central entrance with red colored brick, over hanging roof and recessed glass doors. On the east side the roof rises and slopes east. The windows are horizontal. On the west side the roof line is flat. The building contains two courtrooms.
Tribal Justice Center
Photos taken 2007 and 2019