Itasca County is taken from the Latin words for “truth” and ”head” as the Mississippi River passes through the county from Lake Itasca.
Created: October 27, 1849
Grand Rapids 1849 – present
County Courthouse – Grand Rapids
Location: 123 NE 4th Street / NE 1st Avenue
Built: 1950 – 1951
Architect: Jyring & Jurenes from Hibbing and A G Wahlberg
Contractor: H L Stavin Inc. of Hibbing
Description: The building faces south and is a rectangular block structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the east side of the center of the city. The building is made from cream-colored Mankato stone neatly trimmed with Cold Spring rainbow granite. The building has three horizontal rows of windows. A central slightly recessed entrance is built with glass reaching three stories. A floor was added in 1969 to the west end and two additional floors were built in 1978. Construction of a Law Enforcement Center and the remodeling of the existing jail, all connected to the courthouse, began in 1982.
See: The architect Jyring and Jurenes of Hibbing also designed the courthouse in Saint Louis County – Hibbing.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1892. In 1894, the second courthouse was designed by Wangenstein & Baile and was built by George R King & Company at a cost of $46,704. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $840,000.
S – Aitkin County
Photos taken 2008 and 2010