Roseau came from the French traders who termed the river through the area, a river of “rushes and reeds”.
Created: December 31, 1894
Roseau 1895 – present
County Courthouse – Roseau
Location: 606 5th Avenue SW / 6th Street SW
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Thomas & Vecchi of Duluth
Contractor: Kraus-Anderson Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the south side of the center of the city. The central west entrance has large columns. The building incorporates several elements from the old courthouse including the cast-iron ionic columns that frame the main entrance. In the main lobby is a lighted domed ceiling. On the center of the roof is a square cupola with black colored dome and clock. The roof line is flat. The new addition for the jail and law enforcement center was built by Industrial Contract Services.
Old County Courthouse – Roseau
Location: Center Street West / 3rd Avenue SW
Built: 1913 – 1914
Style: Second Renaissance
Architect: Lignell and Loebeck of Duluth
Contractor: H Fawcett
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brown colored brick over poured concrete structure. The building sits on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has a central entrance with extended one story porch with fan light. The building has double windows. The roof is hipped. The building houses county offices.
Note: The first courthouse was the two story Webster Hotel which was purchased for $1300 and remodeled in 1894. The building still stands at 205 Center Street and 2nd Avenue. The second courthouse was built in 1913 and cost $21,139.
N – Manitoba, Canada
W – Kittson County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006, 2007 and 2010