Clearwater County is named after the Clearwater River and Clearwater Lake and in Ojibway the translation is “Ga-wakomitigweia”.
Created: December 20, 1902
Bagley 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Bagley
Location: 213 Main Avenue North / 1st Street NW
Built: 1937 – 1938
Architect: Foss and Company of Fargo, North Dakota
Contractor: A Hedenberg of Duluth
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete Moderne style structure with square lines. The building faces east and was completed in 1938. The building which is 60 feet by 100 feet, faces east and the entrance is defined by large glass windows and sidelights that rise two stories. The original face brick was motored over to give the building a smooth surface. Symmetrically arranged windows and a central doorway are trimmed in green. Inside the building has plastered walls while the courtroom is finished in mahogany veneer. The roof line is flat. The building was renovated in 1998. The contractor was Gordon Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1903 on the present site.
N – Beltrami County
S – Becker County
Photos taken 2007