Aitkin County is named for William Alexander Aitkin ( Aitken ), who was a fur trader with the Ojibwee Native American people.
Created: May 23, 1857
Aitkin 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Aitkin
Location: 209 2nd Street NW / 2nd Avenue NW
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Beaux Arts and Moderne
Architect: Toltz, King and Day of Saint Paul
Contractor: Standard Construction Company and E C Pell
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is constructed with Bedford limestone. The north front has a projecting centre section with vertical stone ornamentation. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. The interior has marble wainscoting, oak woodwork, terrazzo floors and stained glass skylights. on the west side of the courthouse is the red colored brick jail.
See: The architect, Toltz, King & Day of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The first courthouse was a leased schoolhouse in 1858. The second courthouse was constructed by Alexander Grant in 1887 at a cost of $13,200. The cost of construction of the current courthouse was $155,000.
N – Itasca County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2007