Mahnomen County is named after the Ojibway word for wild rice whose root word is “mano” or “spirit”.
Created: December 27, 1906
Mahnomen 1906 – present
County Courthouse – Mahnomen
Location: 311 North Main Street / Washington Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1910
Architect: F W Kenney of Kenney & Halden of Minneapolis
Contractor: Carl Nelson and J O Schlind of Mahnomen
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and is trimmed with limestone. The front side is three bays wide. The center forms a pavilion set out by brick pilasters that rise to a classic pediment. A cornice defines the top of the second story with a plain parapet rising above it. In 1975, the building was remodeled and the original arched windows on the second floor were eliminated. An addition was also built on the west side in 1975. The architect was Genesis Architecture of Willmar.
Note: The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $9,763. The cost for the construction of the addition in 1975 was $800,000.
N – Polk County
S – Becker County
W – Norman County
Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2017