Ramsey County is named after Alexander Ramsey of Saint Paul, Minnesota ( 1815 – 1903 ), who was a United States Senator from Minnesota.
Created: January 4, 1873
Devils Lake 1883 – present
County Courthouse – Devils Lake
Location: 524 4th Avenue Northeast / 6th Street Northeast
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: Foss and Company
Contractor: The John Larsen Company
Description: The building faces west and is three story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building is a rectangular shape with vertical concrete pillars along the west front and east side. There are greenish-blue colored horizontal panels between the windows. Over the entrance is a concrete portico. There is red colored brick on the north and south sides and on the central roof section. On the east side is the old red colored red brick Sheriff’s Residence which is now the Heritage House Museum.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1887 and was torn down in 1959.
Old Sheriff’s Residence
Photos taken 2007 and 2009