Traill County

US States / N / North Dakota / Traill County
0040I08

Traill County is named for Walter John Strickland Traill ( 1847 – 1938 ), a Canadian, who was employed by the Hudson Bay Company and who was a prominent citizen during the early days of the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Grand Forks County

E – Polk County, Minnesota and Norman County, Minnesota

S – Cass County

W – Steele County

 

Created:  January 12, 1875                    Map of North Dakota highlighting Traill County

County Seat:

Caledonia  1875 – 1889

Hillsboro    1889 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hillsboro

 

Location:  114 West Caledonia Avenue / 1st Street Northwest

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Buechner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota

Contractor:  C Skooglum

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a two story rectangular buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Hillsboro. The building has a stone basement. A projecting portico on the east side has two stone columns rising to the second story with a parapet, In the center of the building is an octagonal dome with silver colored roof and with a smaller octagonal dome at the top. The interior features an operational skylight, well-preserved murals, and scallop headed niches in the rotunda. The second floor courtroom has richly stenciled coffered ceiling and massive oak balustrade. The building retains complete exterior integrity, and the painting over of stencils on the first and second floor walls in the early 1950′s has been the only major interior alteration. The building houses the County District Court of the East Central Judicial District. An addition was built on the south side in 1955. The architect was Kurke Associates.

 

See:  The architect Buechiner & Orth of St. Paul, Minnesota designed many courthouses. The courthouse is similar, except for the dome, to the courthouse in McHenry County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Traill County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1875 and Caledonia was selected as the county seat. The first county building was a single story frame structure built in 1875 as an office for the Registrar. The jail was built in 1879. The first courthouse was a two story structure built by George E Weston in 1880 at a cost of $2,100. The county seat was moved to Hillsboro in 1889. The second courthouse was a brick structure built in 1889 to 1890. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1906 to 1907.

 

 

025texas06

County Courthouse – Hillsboro

 

 

026texas06

 

 

0039i08

 

 

0041i08

 

 

0042i08

 

 

566f15

 

 

567f15

 

 

568f15

 

 

574f15

 

 

575f15

 

 

576f15

 

 

577f15

 

 

578f15

 

 

579f15

 

 

580f15

 

 

0043i08

 

 

0044i08

 

 

571f15

County Courthouse Addition – Hillsboro

 

 

572f15

 

 

570f15

 

 

581f15

Photos taken 2006, 2008 and 2015