Crow Wing County is named for the Crow Wing River and is a loose translation of the Kagiwigwa or Ojibway name for the river meaning “raven feather”.
Created: May 23, 1857
Brainerd 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Brainerd
Location: 326 Laurel Street / South 4th Street
Built: 1919 – 1920
Style: Classical Revival style
Architect: Alden and Harris of Saint Paul
Contractor: J & W A Elliot Company
Description: The building faces north and is a three story stone structure. Built of smooth cut gray stone, the building is 130 feet by 90 feet. Above a high rough cut stone basement on the first floor are piers and columns which reach to the third story cornice. A medallion and flagpole anchor the centre of the building’s classically symmetrical features. The double glass doors with transom and sidelights are highlighted by an arch and cast iron lamp posts. The interior has polished marble floors and walls, and a balconied rotunda. A coloured glass skylight dominates the dome, from which a fine brass elecytolier with white glass fittings hangs above wide stairways.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1872 at a cost of $30,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $279,398.
County Judicial Center – Brainerd
Location: 213 Laurel Street / South 4th Street
Built: 2004 – 2006
Architect: Wold Architects & Engineers
Contractor: Construction Analysis & Management
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building has glass paneled walls with the main entrance on the first story of the east front. The roof line is flat.
N – Cass County
S – Morrison County
Photos taken 2007