Norman County is named in honor of the large number of Norwegians or Normans, who settled in the country and in the county.
Created: February 17, 1881
Ada 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Ada
Location: 16 East Third Avenue / 2nd Street East
Built: 1903 – 1904
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque Revival
Architect: Omeyer and Thori of Saint Paul
Contractor: Olaf Swenson of Saint Paul
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red-brown colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds, is 90 feet by 90 feet, and the pressed red-brown colored brick building is accented by sandstone. There is a tall square, central tower with peaked corner pavilions and a gabled central section with wide arched windows at the second level. Inside are marble wainscoting, granite steps in the front entry, the high central atrium, and the 15 foot ceilings. In 1975, a 500 foot by 80 foot building of similar brick was added to the south rear of the original structure.
Note: The first courthouse was built by O H Myron in 1883 and rented to the county. The county bought the building in 1885 for $2,400. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $60,637.
N – Polk County
E – Mahnomen County
Photos taken 2007 and 2008