Iowa County

US States / H-L / Iowa / Iowa County
1304I08

Iowa County is named for the Iowa River which flows through the county and is named after the Ioway Native American tribe.

 

Created:  February 17, 1843

County Seat:

Marengo  1847 – present

 

County Courthouse – Marengo

 

Location:  901 Court Avenue / West Hilton Street

Built:  1892 – 1893

Style:  Romanesque

Architect:   Foster and Liebbe

Contractor:   P H Wind

 

Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored Berea stone structure. The east front has a central tower rising 137 feet with arched entrance on the first story and rising to an octagonal tower at the fourth story with red colored conical roof above. The north and south sections project slightly from the building. On the north and south sides are small turrets rising above the roof line.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was built in 1847 and the second courthouse was built in 1851. A third courthouse was built in 1861 at a cost of $2,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $50,000.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Benton County

E – Johnson County

S – Washington County and Keokuk County 

W – Poweshiek County

 

 

 

1301i08

 

 

1302i08

 

 

1305i08

 

 

1303i08

 

 

1306i08

Photos taken 2008