Buchanan County is named for James Buchanan, who was the fifteenth President of the United States.
Created: December 21, 1837
Independence 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Independence
Location: 210 5th Avenue NE / 2nd Street NE
Built: 1938 – 1939
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Dougher, Rich & Woodburn of Des Moines
Contractor: C C Larsen & Sons Company of Council Bluffs
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The building has five large windows on the second and third stories of the west front. Low wings extend on the south and north sides of the building. The building was a Works Project Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1847. The second courthouse was built in 1857 at a cost of $10,000. The previous courthouse was built in 1888. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $254,000.
N – Fayette County
E – Delaware County
Photos taken 2008