Benton County is named for Thomas Hart Benton, who was a United States Senator from Missouri.
Created: December 21, 1837
Vinton 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Vinton
Location: 111 East 4th Street / 1st Avenue Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: C E Bell and M S Detweiler
Contractor: George Rickman and Sons Company
Description: The building faces south and is a three story Buckeye buff colored sandstone structure. The center section projects from the main building and has an arched entrance on the first story. There is a large arched window on the second story with pediment above. The east and west wings also project. On the center of the roof is a high square clock tower rising 112 feet with cupola at the top. There is a rotunda in the interior. During the construction of the building, the superintendent was J A Murphy.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1838 and the second courthouse was built in 1852. The previous courthouse was designed and constructed by John Tyler in 1856 at a cost of #13,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $105,000.
E – Linn County
S – Iowa County
W – Tama County
Photos taken 2008