Cedar County is named for the Red Cedar River which runs through the county and which river is named for the cedar tree.
Created: December 21, 1837
Rochester 1840 – 1841
Tipton 1841 – present
County Courthouse – Tipton
Location: 400 Cedar Street / 4th Street
Built: 1965 – 1066
Architect: Soenke & Wayland
Contractor: Schoff Construction
Description: The building faces west and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a recessed entrance in the center with three small windows above on the second story. There is a wide projecting band around the roof. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Rochester in 1840. In 1845 a courthouse was built in Tipton. In 1859, the third courthouse was designed by W L Carroll and built by Ed Godden and Samuel Tomlinson at a cost of $45,000. The building was expanded in 1889 and 1901. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $595,000.
N – Jones County
S – Muscatine County
Photos taken 2008