Tama County is named for any of several Native American chiefs or chief’s wives.
Created: February 17, 1843
Toledo 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Toledo
Location: 100 West High Street / Broadway Street
Built: 1866 – 1867
Architect: W R Parsons & Son
Contractor: H B Belton and PB McCullough
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a large white stone arch with recessed entrance. The west side rises to a peaked roof with third story window. A large square brick tower rises above the entrance and has a clock and four sized steep roof. The foundation is white colored stone and the roof is corrugated iron. On the west side the walls rise to a peak at the third story.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1854 at a cost of $1,300. The cost of constructionof the present courthouse was $22,000.
County Administration – Toledo
Location: 104 West State Street / Broadway Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story gray colored cladding, glass and concrete structure. The south front has a large window above the central entrance.
E – Benton County
S – Poweshiek County
Photos taken 2008