Delaware County is named for John M. Clayton, who was a Delaware Senator, or for the State of Delaware or for Delaware County in New York State.
Created: December 21, 1837
Delhi 1837 – 1894
Manchester 1894 – present
County Courthouse – Manchester
Location: 301 East Main Street / South Tama Street
Built: 1894 – 1895
Architect: Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota
Contractor: Barnett & Record Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored pressed brick and Bedford limestone structure. The building has a limestone arch at the first story entrance. A high square brick clock tower rises at the northwest corner. A small but wider tower rises on the northeast corner. The foundation is course stone. The roof is steep.
See: The architect Charles E Bell of Minneapolis, Minnesota designed many courthouses.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Delhi. The second courthouse was built in 1850 by the citizens of the County. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $38,000.
N – Clayton County
E – Dubuque County
W – Buchanan County
Photos taken 2008