Jones County is named for George Wallace Jones, who was one of the first United States Senators from Iowa.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Cedar County
W – Linn County
Created: December 21, 1837
Edinburgh 1837 – 1847
Anamosa 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Anamosa
Location: 500 West Main Street / High Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Dougher, Rich and Woodburn of Des Moines
Contractor: C C Larsen & Sons Company of Council Bluffs
Description: The building faces south and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Anamosa. The central entrance is recessed with Art Deco lamp stands at the steps. The east and west wings are one story and project from the main building. The second and third stories are recessed. The front entrance vestibule is divided into multiple levels but unlike the original plan, has a single set of double doors opening onto the public corridor rather than the base of the stairs. The floor has a two-tone terrazzo finish with dark gray and black borders with a reddish and gray field, with a recessed area in the center designed to hold an absorbing floor pad. The walls are finished with polished Anamosa limestone wainscoting and a combination of polished limestone and American walnut paneling. The courtroom is located on the north side of the second story. A 4-foot tail wainscoting fashioned of walnut panels extends around the perimeter of the room. The finish molding for the wainscoting contains a series of convex vertical cuts. The wainscoting rests on a black colored marble base, and above the wainscoting along the south wall, the upper walls are finished with alternating vertical sections of plaster and acoustic tile. The building has a flat roof line. The building houses the County District Court of the 6 Judicial District.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jones County Courthouse
History: The county was created in 1837 and Edinburg was selected as the county seat. In 1847 the county seat was moved to Anamosa. The first courthouse was built in 1848 at a cost of $800. The courthouse burned in 1875. In 1864, the County purchased the second floor of the Shaw Building as the second courthouse. The third courthouse was constructed in 1936 to 1937 at a cost of $200,000.
Photos taken 2008