Forest County

US States / V-Z / Wisconsin / Forest County
Forest

Forest County is named for the dense forest that covered the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Iron County, Michigan

E – Florence County and Marinette County

S – Oconto County and Langlade County

W – Oneida County and Vilas County

 

Created:  April 11, 1885                          Map of Wisconsin highlighting Forest County

County Seat: 

Crandon  1885 – present

 

County Courthouse – Crandon

 

Location:  200 East Madison Street / North Lake Avenue

Built:  1909 – 1912

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  Fremont D Orff

Contractor:  W H Fraley

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Crandon. On the center of the roof is a square red colored brick cupola with white colored wood top and red colored roof. The building has Kasota Stone tiling. The center portion of the building projects from the main building. White colored trim is around the roof line. In the interior is a central octagonal shaped rotunda rising into the tower. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 9th Judicial Circuit. The superintendent was Gus Horn. On the south side is a modern brick addition built in 1966. A one story addition was constructed on the north side in 1978. The Law Enforcement Center was built on the south side in 1997.

 

See:  The 9th Judicial District includes Florence County, Iron County, Langlade County, Lincoln County, Marathon County, Menominee County, Oneida CountyPortage County, Price CountyShawano County, Taylor County, Vilas County and Wood County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1885 and Crandon was selected as the county seat in 1885. Ayr was the first settlement and later became Crandon, Samuel Shaw erected a building to rent to the county. Later the building was occupied by Pooler’s barber shop. The County Jail and Sheriff’s Residence was built in 1910 at a cost of $25,000. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1909 to 1912.

 

 

0199k10

County Courthouse – Crandon

 

 

0197k10

 

 

0198k10

 

 

0200k10

 

 

0203k10

 

 

0207k10

 

 

0209k10

 

 

0208k10

 

 

0206k10

 

 

0205k10

Photos taken 2007 and 2010