Shawano County is named for the Ojibwe Native American word meaning “southern”.
Created: February 16, 1853
Shawano 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Shawano
Location: 311 North Main Street / West 4th Street
Built: 1956 – 1958
Architect: Foeller, Schober, Berners, Safford and Jahn of Green Bay
Contractor: The Hoffman Company of Appleton
Description: The building faces east and is a two story stone and concrete structure. The rectangular building is faced with a light colored polished stone. The north and south ends of the building are recessed and lower than the main building. In the center of the east front, the entrance has a square arch with recessed doorway. Along the first floor, the windows are square and on the second story, the vertical windows are long. The roof line is flat.
Note: The courthouse also houses the court for the Menominee County.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Charles Wescott and constructed by J L Whitehouse in 1883.
W – Marathon County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012