Taylor County is named for William Robert Taylor, who was the Governor of Wisconsin from 1874 until 1876.
Created: March 4, 1875
Medford 1875 – present
County Courthouse – Medford
Location: 224 South 2nd Street / Clark Street
Built: 1913 – 1914
Architect: B Mehner
Contractor: Hutter Construction Company of Fond du Lac
Description: The building faces west and is a three story rectangular red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on a hill overlooking the city in the center of the city and is 105 feet by 65 feet. The first story is faced with white colored stone and the upper two stories are dark red colored brick. In the center is a large Roman dome with clock and copper roof on top of which is a small round cupola with copper top and containing a bell. The building was renovated in 1948. An addition was added on the south side in 1980. A further addition was constructed in 2001. The architect was Ayers Associates.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Taylor County Courthouse
Note: The previous courthouse was built by E Perrine & Company in 1876. An addition was constructed in 1889.
Photos taken 2007 and 2008