Iron County is named for the iron discovered in the region in 1846.
Created: March 1, 1893
Hurley 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Hurley
Location: 300 Taconite Street / 2nd Avenue South
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Nelson & Jorgensen
Contractor: Nasi Construction Company of Hurley
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red-brown colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is constructed with many square block corners. The main entrance is along the east side and has a triangular portico supported by an iron pillar. There are narrow vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building was expanded in 2001 to 2002. The contractor was Wayne Wasi Construction Inc.
Old County Courthouse – Hurley
Location: 303 Iron Street / 3rd Avenue South
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Architect: L H Ruggles
Contractor: Juilius Rinke and E J Carroll
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick structure. The northeast corner has a high square brick tower. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the city of the city. There is a large arch in the center of the north front. The building has Lake Superior brownstone ornamentation. The building served as the courthouse until 1975 and is now the Iron County Historical Museum.
Note: The contracts for the excavation and foundation was Juilius Rinke and Means. The cost of construction was $27,303.63. The building was constructed as the Vaughan Town Hall and then sold to the county in 1894.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Old Iron County Courthouse
W – Ashland County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2007 and 2015