Marathon County is named for the town of Marathon in Greece.
Created: February 9, 1850
Wausau 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Wausau
Location: 500 Forest Street / North 6th Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Childs & Smith
Contractor: Steenberg Construction of Saint Paul, Minnesota
Description: The building faces south and is a two story glass and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city and is faced with a smooth brownish stone. Horizontal bands of red are along the roof line and halfway down the building. On the south side are two large stone crests. The entrance has dark glass rising to the top of the second story. An addition was constructed on the north side in 1986 to 1988. The architect was Becher-Hoppe and the contractor was C D Smith Construction Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by H C Koch & Company and constructed by John Miller in 1892.
Photos taken 2007, 2011 and 2012