Oneida County is named for the Oneida Native American people.
Created: April 11, 1885
Rhinelander 1885 – present
County Courthouse – Rhinelander
Location: 1 South Oneida Street / Davenport Street
Built: 1908 – 1911
Architect: Christ H Tegen of Manitowoc
Contractor: Ryckman Sons & Company of Kalamazoo, Michigan
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The west front has three arches on the first story and six Ionic columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story with recessed windows. On the center of the roof is a large dark green colored dome with small cupola at the top. In 1909, the steel frame of the dome was built by Cadillac Machine Company of Cadillac, Michigan. The interior was finished by Scott Taylor Company of Ashland. The gold gilt work and stenciling in the rotunda area was applied in 1919 by the Conrad Schmitt Company of Milwaukee.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Waters and constructed by Joseph Webber in 1887. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $96,500 for the basic structure, $1,300 for extras and $12,000 for heating plumbing, lighting and furniture.
N – Vilas County
E – Forest County
W – Price County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010