Marinette County is named for Marinette, who was a 19th century Menominee woman trader and who was the daughter of a French Canadian trapper.
Created: February 27, 1879
Marinette 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Marinette
Location: 1926 Hall Avenue/ Court Street
Built: 1941 – 1942
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Max Hanisch
Description: The building faces south and is a five story yellow colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The south entrance has a high rectangular projection with the entrance recessed and recessed windows on the second and third stories. The fourth story is recessed with a small fifth story further recessed in the center of the building. An annex was added on the east side in 1992 and completed in 1993. The architect was Sommerville & Associates and the contractor was Alfredson Brothers of Menominee, Michigan.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George Clark and constructed in 1879.
E – Menominee County, Michigan
Photos taken 2007 and 2008