Wood County is named for Joseph Wood, who was a state legislator.
Created: March 29, 1856
Wisconsin Rapids 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Wisconsin Rapids
Location: 400 Market Street / Baker Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Donn Hougen of Wisconsin Rapids
Contractor: Thomsen-Abbott Construction of Marshfield
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored Indiana limestone and glass structure. The building is faced with light polished limestone. The windows form blocks of glass. The north and south extend out from the building and have stone stairs ascending to the lower level of the center section.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by William Waters in 1881. An addition was designed by William Waters and constructed in 1890.
N – Marathon County
E – Portage County
Photos taken 2007