Iosco County is named for the Native American word meaning “water of light”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Alcona County
E – Lake Huron and Ontario, Ontario
S – Arenac County
W – Ogemaw County
Created: April 1, 1840
Tawas City 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Tawas City
Location: 422 Lake Street / 1st Street
Built: 1952 – 1954
Architect: Joseph C Goddeyne of Bay City
Contractor: Arthur Vollmer Construction Company.
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story stone, glass and concrete structure. The building has a flat roof. The entrance is located in the center of the east side and is recessed with glass doors. On the northeast side the roof is slightly raised.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1863. The previous courthouse was built in 1869. The cost of the present courthouse was $250,000.
See: Michigan’s County Courthouses by John Fedynsky
County Courthpuse – Travas City
Photos taken 2008