Portage County is named for the overland carry between the Fox River and the Wisconsin River.
Created: December 7, 1836
Stevens Point 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Stevens Point
Location: 1517 Church Street / Arlington Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: Ray R Gauger and Gage M Taylor
Contractor: Orville E Madsen & Son.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone, brick and concrete structure. On the north side of the building there is a polished red colored stone center section divided by vertical black pillars and cornice. On either side of the center section is white polished stone facing, with a block of windows in the west section. The rest of the building has light colored flag stone facing. Around the building is an alteration of the different stone facings. The building also houses the Stevens Point City Hall.
County Courthouse Annex – Stevens Point
Location: 1462 Strongs Avenue / Arlington Street
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: Barrientos Designs & Consulting, LLC.
Contractor: Ellis Stone Construction Company
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story buff colored brick, concrete and stone structure. . The southeast corner is rounded with the main entrance on the first story. The roof line is flat.
N – Marathon County
E – Waupaca County
W – Wood County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010