Oconto County is named for a Native American settlement and the Oconto River, whose name means “plentiful with fish”.
Created: February 6, 1851
Oconto 1851 – present
County Courthouse – Oconto
Location: 301 Washington Street / Collins Avenue
Built: 1891 – 1892
Style: Romanesque Revival / Classical Revival
Architect: Rau & Kirsch
Contractor: William Kasten.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff brick structure. The south front has three sections with peaked roofs. The center section has a large arch at the first story entrance with four vertical windows on the second story. On the center of the roof is a square dome with clock and rounded red colored roof and gold statue of Justice. The building was completely refurbished in 1907. The architect was Foeller & Schober. The Jail Annex was added on east side in 1960 and office wing on the west side in 1977.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $50,000. A fire in 1907 destroyed the upper story.
Photos taken 2007