Florence County is named for Florence Hulst, who was the first woman pioneer in the region.
Created: March 18, 1882
Florence 1882 – present
County Courthouse – Florence
Location: 501 Lake Avenue / Cyclops Street
Built: 1887 – 1889
Style: Romanesque Revival
Architect: James E Clancy of Antigo
Contractor: Wickert & Weber of Menasha
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored Wisconsin sandstone and brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The building has blue colored limestone trimming and a high pitched red colored roof with round turrets. The north front has a projecting covered porch on the first story. An addition was built in 1994 on the south side. The architect was Martinson Architects and the contractor was Miron Construction. On the south side is the old jail.
W – Forest County
Old County Jail
Photos taken 2007 and 2015