Lumpkin County is named for Wilson Lumpkin, who was a Governor of Georgia, a United States Representative and a United States Senator.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – White County
S – Hall County
Created: December 3, 1832
Auraria 1832 – 1836
Dahlonega 1836 – present
Old County Courthouse – Dahlonega
Location: 1 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1836 – 1838
Style: Vernacular with Classical Revival
Architect: Ephram Clayton
Contractor: Ephram Clayton
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story buff colored brick, stone and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dahlonega. The outer walls are solid, ranging between 24 and 22.5 inches thick. The southeast front has a large portico with two large columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the first story is an arched entrance with balcony on the second story. The windows have shutters. The roof is hipped. The building now houses the Dahlonega Gold Museum.
Note: The bricks for the courthouse were hand made from clay dug from nearby Cane Creek and reveal trace amounts of gold.
See: The courthouse ( 1836 ) is the fourth oldest courthouse still standing in Georgia. The oldest courthouse is Old Government House ( 1801 ) located in Richmond County. The second oldest courthouse ( 1825 ) is located in Fayette County. The third oldest courthouse ( 1832 ) is located in Crawford County.
County Justice Center – Dahlonega
Location: 325 Riley Road / Morrison Moore Parkway
Built: 2008 – 2010
Architect: Gardner, Spencer, Smith, Tench & Jarbeau
Contractor: The Winter Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the east of the center of Dahlonega. The west front has a large portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are three arches at the central entrance on the first story. There is wing on the south side. The roof is hipped. The building houses the County Superior Court, County Juvenile Court, County Probate Court and County Magistrate Court of the 9th Judicial Administrative District.
County Administration Building – Dahlonega
Location: 99 Courthouse Hill Road / East Main Street
Built: 1964 – 1965
Architect: Jacobs and Matthews
Contractor: 765 Builders, Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored flagstone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the north of the center of Dahlonega. There are one story projecting sections on each corner which are faced with flagstone. The main building has a recessed entrance on the south side and rises two stories with windows on the east and west sides. The roof line is flat. The building sits at the top of a hill. The building served as the courthouse until 2010 and is now the Administration Building.
History: The county was created in 1832 and Auraria was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a log cabin in Auraria. The second courthouse was a two story brick structure built in 1836 when the county seat was moved to Dahlonega. The building is still standing. The third courthouse was constructed in 1964 to 1965 and is now the Administration Building. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 2008 to 2010.
Old County Courthouse - Dahlonega
County Courthouse - Dahlonega
County Administration Building - Dahlonega
Photos taken 2013 and 2023