Forsyth County is named for John Forsyth, who was a United States Representative, United States Senator, United States Secretary of State and Governor of Georgia.
Created: December 3, 1832
Cumming 1832 – present
Old County Courthouse – Cumming
Location: 100 South Courthouse Square / West Main Street
Built: 1974 – 1976
Style: Modern Colonial Revival
Architect: Bert T Millard & Associates of Atlanta
Contractor: Collett & Castleberry Construction Company, Inc. of Cumming
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds across from the new courthouse. The east front has a high portico with four narrow columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are three framed entrances. On the west side of the building is a portico rising from the second story to the roof line and on the first story are arched entrances. A wide horizontal white colored band runs below the roof line. On the sloped green colored roof are dormers and at the center is a square white colored cupola with clock and gold colored roof. The building houses the Probate Court and Sheriff’s Office.
Note: The courthouse constructed in 1905, burned in 1973 and was replaced with the present courthouse.
County Courthouse – Cumming
Location: 101 South Courthouse Square / West Main Street
Built: 2013 – 2015
Architect: Wakefield Beasley & Associates
Contractor: Turner Construction Company and Winter Construction of Atlanta
Description: The building faces west and is a fiver story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located across from the old courthouse. The west front has a projecting north and south section with plaza extending to the street. The center section is circular with columns rising to the top of the third story and at the top is a low wide dome. Concrete bands run vertically and trim the building corners. The roof line is flat.
County Administration – Cumming
Location: 110 East Main Street / Dahlonega Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Mayes, Sudderth & Etheredge, Inc.
Contractor: Ricks Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The southwest entrance is recess with large window above on the second story. The first story has large arches. The windows are horizontal with brick dividers between. The roof is sloped.
N – Dawson County
S – Fulton County
Old County Courthouse
Photos taken 2013 and 2018